Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Houston Baptist University (dafabet888) provides our students with A Higher Education through the pursuit of the Ten Pillars. Specifically, Pillar Five states that faculty members will spend more time writing and doing research. To this end, dafabet888 is committed to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research and public service.
In the pursuit for excellence, the university strives to protect the welfare of every person who may be involved in research and training projects in accordance with the federal regulations, and the ethical principles established by the Belmont Report.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Prior to proposing research to the IRB, please review the regulations applicable to your project.
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.(“The Common Rule”) specifically addresses the protection of human study subjects as promulgated by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Regardless of funding, all research at dafabet888 is held to the DHHS standard. 21 CFR 50 and 21 CFR 56 are the general regulations that govern U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-regulated research. FDA regulations 21 CFR 312 and 21 CFR 812 govern research involving drugs and devices, respectively.
All dafabet888 faculty, staff or students proposing to engage in any research activity involving the use of human subjects must have approval from the IRB prior to the recruitment for and initiation of research procedures. Any questions regarding IRB or the research categories and policies found on this website should be directed the Dr. Lisa Ellis, the Chair of the IRB Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. The submission of applications to the IRB is currently handled through emailing a completed application to email@example.com.
Applications to IRB
*If you are from another institution, seeking participants for your research, please read the instructions found in the Research Approved by Other Institutions section below.
- CITI Training Requirement. All researchers are required to complete the CITI training prior to submitting a research application at Houston Baptist University. All researchers are required to submit proof of completion of the CITI training with the application to conduct research to the IRB.
- Submit early to ensure enough time for routing. Once the application is submitted, the review process will be initiated. Applications submitted by the deadline (4th Friday in September, February, or June for the Fall, Spring, or Summer semester respectively) are guaranteed a 2-week turnaround. Applications from Ed.D. candidates submitted by the 2nd Friday of April or November are also guaranteed a 2-week turnaround. The review process for applications submitted after the deadline may take up to 4 weeks.
- Be sure the application truly qualifies for the classification you select (expedited or full board review). The expedited category is federally mandated and only applies to specific types of research. Applications submitted incorrectly will be referred to the next appropriate committee meeting according to the submission deadlines, and may delay review.
- Make sure the application is complete; answer all questions thoroughly and ensure appropriate attachments have been uploaded. All applications will undergo a preliminary administrative review to determine if they are complete and meet the basic requirements for compliance with IRB policies and procedures. Any application that is incomplete will be returned for additional information and resubmission before being assigned to the IRB review process.
- Allow time for feedback and resubmission. IRB review will elicit a determination letter, which will be sent approximately 5-8 business days following the completed review process. Most require at least minor corrections and/or stipulations to be addressed. When submitting your protocol, please budget time for addressing stipulations and IRB review of responses.
- Ensure that all human subjects procedures listed in a grant proposal are contained within the protocol reviewed by the IRB.
- If, for any reason, you modify your research procedures, surveys, forms, or any other aspects of your research, the faculty principle investigator must submit an IRB Proposal Modification to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
Research Approved By Other Institutions
If you wish to have dafabet888 faculty, staff, or students participate in your research project you must email the IRB approval letter from your parent institution to email@example.com. dafabet888’s IRB committee’s role is to not review the research proposal, but to review the approval already granted by the parent institution. Thus, upon receipt of the approval letter, the chair will send a letter granting the researcher the right to recruit research participants at dafabet888.